Yahoo! Avatars

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thing #4

I have really enjoyed reading the different blogs for this assignment! I have read a couple of blogs over the years, but I have never really researched and read the different educational blogs that are out there for us. I now realize that there are so many possiblities to use blogging as a teacher and for my students. I cannot wait to start using blogging and this blog site in my classroom next year!

One particular blog site that I liked was called Duck With a Blog. This blog involves 2nd grade and Kindergarten students in the blog-writing process. I thing this would be a great site for my students that are just beginning to write. My students love anything to do with technology and computers. This would be a great way to motivate them to write and give purpose to their writing as well as reading.

Most of the blogs that I read were written in a personal narrative type style. People share information, what they are thinking, and thier opinions about a particular topic on blogs. When you are reading blogs it can be very different than reading books or articles because it is much more personal. Both of them can provide information, just in a different way. Blogs also allow communication back and forth between people in the form of writing. When people comment on different people's blogs, it allows them to become more personally involved in what they are reading. By writing and commenting on blogs, ideas and communication between people continue to evolve and change. Commenting on blogs helps to motivate and support people who are writing the blogs.

I feel that blogging can help facilitate learning in many different ways. It can help students to share their thoughts and opinions with other people without all of the pressure of speaking in front of the class and raising their hand. It can help students make connections with each other by reading and commenting on their classmates' blogs. It can help to give meaning and purpose to their reading and writing. It can also give motivation to reluctant writers. (This sort of technology would have been great for me when I was in school! :-) ) Blogging can also help to share important information, such as classroom assignments and up-coming events, with people who need it.

7 comments:

  1. I loved the Duck With a Blog, too. Even though I'm at the high school level, I have a 2nd grade granddaughter (Cady). I hope she has an opportunity like this in her classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I competely agree that blogging allows us to become more personal with what we are reading and would encourage us to keep coming back for new information by checking reponses to our posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't originally read the blog about writing since it was 2nd graders (I teach 5th), but I am going to go back and read it now!

    There was also one on a 3rd grade teacher who uses blog reading as SSR!

    I agree with what you said about allowing students to share their opinions without raising their hand. I hadn't thought about the elimination of the pressure some students feel to speak in front of the class - thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not having much experience with blogging before I took this class, I have become addicted to it. I loved reading all of the blogs and will continue to do so. I think students will get just as much out of reading different blogs or blogging themselves just as teachers will. I do like the idea of using blogs to help eliminate the pressures of some students who do not like to speak in front of the class yet they have so much to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the duck with a blog also...it was a fun read. I agree with you that it makes reading and/or writing a more personal experience. Ever since I saw the movie Julie and Julia (I think) I've wanted to blog...about something:)

    Here is my blogger site, come check it out. http://chia23things.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also loved the blog on the Duck leaving. I thought it was such a great way to get kids writing and to use the computer for it. I totally agree with you about kids blogging. I loved your reasons that it would be good for them. I think quiet students will really be able to have a voice if they blog. I hope you have success using it in your classroom.
    http://mrshites23things.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Duck with a blog site also. Even though this was done on the 2nd grade level, I think that it could be adapted to other grade levels. It would aid in getting the kids into writing even more. Come visit my blog sometime.
    http://mrswalterswords.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete